Friday, September 18, 2009

Yoga is Therapeutic

I have had the privilege of working with hundreds of individuals since I began teaching yoga in 2001.  The one common thread that I have seen is EVERYONE has a habitual pattern of movement that impairs their biomechanics to some degree.  Over time, these imbalances can lead to injury.  Yoga works to correct these biomechanical imbalances.

Young, old, weak, strong, healthy, and not so healthy, we can all benefit from yoga.  Yoga looks for the cause of the injury and corrects the imbalances.  Once the cause is corrected the effect (or injury) usually diminishes or disappears.  To me, that makes a lot more sense than suffering from pain and discomfort.  Please chime in with questions or comments about your particular issue or your story about how yoga has helped you.
Namaste'
Kathy

2 comments:

  1. Five months ago, with some trepidation, I started to attend your gentle yoga class. I needn't have worried: the class is indeed gentle and restorative. You tailored the class to the student's individual needs and limitations- and it's fun!
    The physical benifits I have experienced are amazing: my chronic lower back pain and muscle spasms are almost gone, and my once-painful and swollen knees are tremendously improved.
    For the first time in decades I can walk without pain because my gait is fluid and relaxed. Through the class I have re-discovered my body and how wonderful movement can be!

    Joanne Humphrey
    author, age 61

    ReplyDelete
  2. Group classes were never a thing that I actively participated in. I ran and worked out from home. Then I met Kathy. I took one class and have been a regular yogi since. Her immense knowledge in nutrition along with her focus on therapeutic yoga has not only improved my running but also my overall health. Her constant reassurance allows everyone to feel confident, relaxed and in a much better state than when they arrived. She inspires constantly with her positive attitude, inner peace and passion in her work. Not only do I recommend yoga, I recommend Kathy to all.

    ReplyDelete